Requirements For Independent Providers
Overview of Requirements for Independent Provider
To become an Independent Provider for IO/Level One and SELF waivers, providers must apply for certification on the Provider Certification Wizard located at the DODD website (http://dodd.ohio.gov).
Having the following documents accessible will be helpful to independent providers preparing to apply for initial certification:
- Verification of age: All provider applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma/GED: Except for persons who held provider certification or who were employed by a certified agency provider on September 30, 2009.
- State Identification: Valid driver’s license or other government-issued photo identification
- Social Security Card: a copy is required to be submitted with your application
- Certificate of Completion of the DODD web based orientation (20 minute training) - dodd.ohio.gov/workspace/pages/default.aspx. Click on "Providers". Scroll down to "Independent Provider Orientation".
- Current report from the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCII). Please contact your local DODD County Board to see if they offer or can refer you to local organizations that offer BCII and FBI criminal background checks. Organizations that offer web check for civilian and FBI checks can also be found on-line at http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Services/Business/WebCheck.aspx/?from=nav (Request code 5164 341 for independent providers). Report must be submitted directly to DODD:
DODD Provider Certification
30 East Broad St., 13th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
- Valid American Red Cross or equivalent certification in First Aid (Hands-on skills required)
- Valid American Red Cross or equivalent certification in CPR (Hands-on skills required)
- Evidence of 8-hours provider certification training
- Drivers abstract if providing transportation to people served
- Proof of car insurance if providing transportation to people served
- Consent to RAPBACK
Providers must also complete the following to remain a provider:
- Complete required documentation as listed in the ISP for services provided
- Maintain transportation mileage per the requirements
- Complete UI logs
- Comply with provider compliance reviews as scheduled
- Annual training in required areas covered in Roles and Responsibilities, Behavior Support Rule and MUI/Rights trainings.
- Maintain current contact information on file with DODD
- Within 60 days of first providing services, complete training in Service Documentation and Billing for Services.
- Meet with representative of County Board after being selected by an individual to provide services and prior to providing services.