SOCOG Representative Payee Services
WHAT IS A REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE?
A representative payee is an individual or organization that receives Social Security and/or SSI payments for someone who cannot manage or direct management of his or her money. A payee uses the funds for current and foreseeable needs of the client(s) and saves any remaining funds for the client’s future use.
Social Security benefits payments must be used for:
- Medical and Dental Expenses
- Personal Care Items
- Rehabilitation Expenses
REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE SERVICE
The Southern Ohio Council of Governments (SOCOG) offers representative payee services to individuals, families, independent providers and agency providers.
As a representative payee, SOCOG plays a vital role in serving our beneficiaries. We collaborate with an individual’s support system in deciding how to manage benefits to help create a stable living environment for the beneficiary and ensure that the basic current needs of food, shelter, clothing and medical care are met.
Our courteous and professional staff will ensure payments are made in a timely and efficient manner. Invoices and documentation can be mailed, emailed or faxed to SOCOG 24 hours per day.
WHAT WE OFFER
- One-on-One service with easy access to information by phone or email
- Client’s account balance is always available
- Consistent, accurate financial record keeping which meets reporting and audit standards
- Monthly reconciled bank statements
- Copy of actual paid bills upon request
- Budget preparation assistance
WHY USE SOCOG’S REPRESENTATIVE PAYEE SERVICE
- Consistency in bill payment
- Case manager or provider is “always in the loop” with their client’s financial picture
- Checks and balances for financial oversight of payeeship services with separation of duties in place
- Relieves reluctant providers of fiduciary responsibilities
- Reduction in “Misappropriation MUI’s” (62 substantiated cases in 2014 with 13 pending investigations)
SOCOG charges a fee of $52.00 or 10% of the beneficiary monthly benefit amount (whichever is less) per client per month for representative payee services as set by the Social Security Administration.
SOCOG will provide an overview and a presentation on how to utilize our representative payee services.
TO GET STARTED
To establish SOCOG as your representative payee, call 740-775-5030, option 2 during regular business hours. We will provide information on how we can meet your needs and review the requirements to get you started.